Dr. A Nepolraj, MSc., B.Ed., PhD., Assistant Professor
Dr. M .Sathiyaseelan M.Sc., PhD., Assistant Professor
Dr. K.Prabakaran M.Sc., M.Ed., PhD., Assistant Professor
Dr. D. THIRUMOOLAN M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Assistant Professor.
Dr. V. Mala M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Mrs. JEYASEELI REBECKAL.J M.Sc., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
Mrs. RUBALA MARY.M M.Sc., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
Department Staff Details:
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
About the Department
Department of Chemistry was established in June 2009 and Elevated as Postgraduate Course in the year 2015, The Department comprises a goal-oriented group of highly qualified, experienced, and dynamic faculty members. The Department offers B.Sc. M.Sc. and Ph.D. Programmes,
Annai college of arts and science is an elite department of Chemistry that aims to disseminate fundamental & advanced scientific knowledge in the field and provide a platform for Research, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship. The department offers inspiring undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. research programs in the field. Other key benefits of taking a degree in chemistry from AnnaiCollege of Arts and science are:
- State-of-the-Art Laboratories to carry-out practical in the areas of organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry
- Staff, Students are encouraged to publish research papers in their last semester in Peer-Reviewed, Science Citation Indexed, SCOPUS and WoS indexed journals.
- Lecture delivery is supported by Advanced Teaching Aids like PPTs, Charts, Models, Animated Videos, Skype Lectures, and more
- Numerous activities are organized to nurture skills beyond the classroom
- Highly competent faculty whose work is recognized internationally.
B.Sc – Chemistry
Total Seats: 60
M.Sc – Chemistry
Total Seats: 22
*PhD – Chemistry
- To develop the Department to be responsive to changing needs of the society and Socio-Economically weaker student community.
- To be recognized as the School of Excellence in research innovation and Quality Education.
- To create, develop and disseminate new knowledge in chemical sciences.
- To promote students through the seminar, industrial visits, and real-time and other educational programs.
- To remain active in frontier areas of chemical research relevant to Indian industry and society.
- To provide a state-of-art laboratory for faculty and students to produce insight development and a passion for science.
The versatile labs accommodated by the Department of Chemistry,
Organic Chemistry Lab
The organic chemistry laboratory is well equipped with all the latest instruments which are required for the synthesis, extraction, and isolations of compounds.
Equipment: Rotary Evaporator, Digital Weighing Balance (0.001 g), Distillation Unit, Hot Air Oven, Magnetic Stirrers, Heating Mantles, Fume Hood, Digital Melting Point Apparatus, Thin Layer Chromatography, Column Chromatography, etc.
Physical Chemistry Lab
The physical chemistry laboratory has all the basic and latest instruments that can help a student to gain depth knowledge of the physical properties of substances.
Equipment’s: Conductivity Meters, Weighing Balance, Magnetic Stirrers, pH Meters, Water baths, Potentiometers, Hot Air Oven, Abbe’s Refractometer, Viscometers, Double Distillation Assembly, etc.,
Inorganic Chemistry Lab
Inorganic chemistry lab contains all basic and advanced techniques when helping the students to understand the concept of complexes and metal ion detection.
Equipment’s: Flame Photometer, Digital Weighing Balance (0.001g), Hot Plates, Distillation Unit, Hot Air Oven, Magnetic Stirrers, Heating Mantle, Fume Hood, Digital Melting Point Apparatus, etc.,
B.Sc. Chemistry Program Educational Objectives,
The PEOs are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing its graduates to achieve in a few years (for example three years) subsequent to receiving the degree. The PEOs of the B.Sc. program in Chemistry are as follows:
- Chemistry graduates will be well prepared for successful careers in the profession at industry and/or in government in one or more disciplines of chemistry.
- Chemistry graduates will be academically prepared to become licensed professional chemists in due course and will contribute effectively in serving society.
- Chemistry graduates will be engaged in professional activities to enhance their own achievement and simultaneously contribute to the service of humankind.
- Chemistry graduates will be successful in higher education in Chemistry.
- Chemistry graduates will provide leadership quality to work in all kinds of circumstances, diverse environments such as interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary learning systems.
M.Sc. Chemistry Program Educational Objectives,
The PEOs are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing its graduates to achieve in a few years (for example two years) subsequent to receiving the degree. The PEOs of the M.Sc. program in Chemistry are as follows:
- Chemistry graduates will be well prepared for successful careers in the profession or in research & innovation at industry and/or in government in one or more of the disciplines of chemistry and /or sub-disciplines of Chemistry.
- Chemistry graduates will be academically prepared to provide feasible and sustainable solutions for real-life problems and become licensed professional chemists in due course and will contribute effectively in serving society.
- Chemistry graduates will be engaged in professional activates to enhance their own achievement and simultaneously contribute to the service of humankind.
- Chemistry graduates will be successful in higher education in Chemistry and in management if pursued.
- Chemistry graduates will be successful leaders with the quality to handle all kinds of diverse circumstances through nurturing them in an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary learning environment.
|Dr. A. Nepolraj.MSc., B.Ed., Ph.D.,
|Organic Chemistry, Computational Chemistry||Green Chemistry, Synthesis of bioactive heterocycle compounds, Quinoline-based alkaloids synthesis, Drug Discovery, Molecular Docking Studies, ADME Analysis.|
|Dr. V. Mala.M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|Physical Organic Chemistry||Organic Synthesis Pharmacological activities of enones, Computational Organic Chemistry.|
|Dr. D. Thirumoolan.M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.,
|Polymer Chemistry, Electrochemistry||Functionalized polymer synthesis, Synthesis of Macromolecules, Corrosion inhibitors, Superhydrophobic and hydrophobic coating,
Self-healing polymers, Click reactions.
|Dr. M. Sathiyaseelan.M.Sc., Ph.D.,
|Organic Chemistry||Drug Discovery,Green Chemistry, synthesis of bioactive heterocycle compounds, Quinoline-based alkaloids synthesis.|
|Dr. K. Prabakaran.M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., M.Ed.,
|Phytochemistry||Natural Product Chemistry, Plant Chemistry, Biochemistry, Structure, and bioactivities of phytochemicals.|
- Nepolraj, K. Sathishkumar, J. A. Malik and V. I. Shupeniuk and M. Sathiyaseelan, Design, synthesis, prostate cancer and molecular docking studies of indolo[2,3-a]acridinol derivatives” Macro–heterocycle, (Under review).
- Nepolraj Amaladoss, Vasyl I Shupeniuk, IlayarajaSivagnanam, Synthesis and In–Silico Studies of Novel Potent Kinase Inhibitors: 3-Indoloylquinoline Alkaloid, is accepted for publication in the journal “Chemistry & Chemical Technology”2022, 15 (2),
- “Evaluation Of Anti-Ulcer Activity of The Ethylacetate Leaf Extract from The Swietenia Macrophylla” Prabakaran& M. Sathiyaseelan, High Technology Letters, 28(1), 382-395, 2022.
- “An Efficient Synthesis Of Biologically Active 2-phenylbenzo[B][1,8]Naphthyridine-3-Carbaldehyde and its Derivatives” SathiyaseelanManisekar,PrabakaranKalaivanan, Nepolraj Amaladoss, Ramya Rajendran and Sivashanmugam Ganesan, High Technology Letters, 28(1), 374-381 2022.
- Evaluation of Antiulcer Activity of the Chloroform Extract from the Flowers of Thespesia populneaK. Prabakaran* and M. Sathiyaseelan.Indian Journal of Natural Sciences.Vol.12, Issue 65,April ,2021.
- Nepolraj Amaladoss, Vasyl I Shupeniuk, DesignIn-silico Studies and Synthesis of New 2-Phenyl-2,3 dihydroquinolin-4(1H)-one of interaction studies on COVID-19 main protease – inhibitor, Vietnam Journal of Chemistry, Hanoi & Wiley -VCH, 2021, 59(4), 511-521
- I. Shupeniuka, Nepolraj Amaladoss, T. N. Tarasa, O. P. Sabadakha, and N. P. Matkivskyia. Synthesis and In -Silico Study of 4-Substituted 1-Aminoanthraquinones, Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2021, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 582–588. (Springer)
- “CTAB-templated formation of CuCo2O4/CuO nanorods and nanosheets for high
performance supercapacitor applications” G Sivashanmugam, Lakshmi Kunhikrishnan, B. Preethi, S. Nelson, M. Sathiyaseelan,Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 32, 27148-27158 2021.
- “Synthesis of Biologically Active Quinoline Substituted Pyrazole, Pyrazolone and It’s
Derivative”., M. Sathiyaseelanand K. PrabakaranIndian Journal of Natural Sciences
- Catalytic effect of nano cadmium phosphate catalyst on the synthesis of some (E)-3,4-dimethoxyphenylprop-2-en-1-ones, V. Mala, I. Muthuvel, G. Thirunarayanan, V. Usha, Materials Today: Proceedings 43 (2021) 2117–2122.
- “Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activities of isorhamnetin 3-O-α-L-(6’’-E-p-coumaroyl)-rhamnoside isolated from indigofera tinctoria” K Prabakaran, M Sathiyaseelan. Research J. Pharm. And Tech. 13 (5), 2187-2191 2020.
- MALA, “Ultrasound assisted Synthesis and Pharmacological evaluation of Some (E)-1,2,3-triphenylprop-2-en-1-ones” OvidiusUniversityAnnalsofChemistry 10.2478/avoc-2020-0024, 3, 2, pp. 152-157, 2020.
- Nepolraj A, Pitchai P, Vijayarathinam M, A Facile Synthesis Of 2-Hydroxy-3-Phenylquinoline Derivatives, Malaysian Journal of Chemistry, 21(3), 66-77, 2019.
- Nepolraj A, Pitchai P. Mani P, One-pot synthesis of Pyrono [2,3] quinoline via the tandem cyclization Algar-Flyn-Oyamanda reactions, Organic Chemistry Research, Iranian Chemical Society, 5 (2),167-173, 2019.
- Nepolraj A, Sumathi S, Ilaiyaraja S, Research Paper: Synthesis, Crystal Growth and Characterization of (E)-3-(4(dimethylamino)phenyl)-1-phenylprop-2-en-1-one: An Organic Crystal, Journal of Applicable Chemistry, 8 (3), 1044-52,
- Nepolraj A, Sumathi S, Ilaiyaraja S, Charles Kanakam, A Facile solid-state synthesis and antimicrobial activity studies on some piperidone derivatives, International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 10(10),104-108,
- “Theoretical and Spectral Investigation of Some Schiff Bases” B Preethi, M Sathiyaseelan, K Prabakaran, S Kutti Rani, G Sivashanmugam, P Anbu Srinivasan. Der Pharma Chemica, 10(11), 88-96 2018.
- “Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Studies of N,N’-(Butane-1,4- Diylidene)Bis(Quinolin-2-Amine) and its Derivatives”. M Sathiyaseelan, K Prabakaran, R, Ramya, R Parvathi, P Pitchai. International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews, 5(4), 530-532 2018.
- Thirumoolan, T. Siva, S. Sathiyanarayanan, K. AnverBasha,K. Kaviyarasu, A. Ayeshamariam, M. Jayachandran,Study on Anticorrosion Behavior of Poly(N-vinyl imidazole-co-methoxyethyl methacrylate) Based Coating in the Aggressive Chloride Ion Environment. Journal of Advanced Microscopy Research. 13(1) (2018) 20.
Books and Chapters
- Green Synthesis of Progressive Quinoline Alkalaids – 978-613-8-91378-8, Scholar Press Germany.
- Synthesis of Indolylquinolineand Acridone Alkaloids- A Green Apporach– 978-613-8-82911-9, Scholar Press Germany
- Insect Antifeedant Active Aryl Enones, book chapter Titled Environment and Development ISBN 978-93-90847-4 – Dr V Mala
Collaborative Activities for Research
On the behalf of Department of Chemistry to improve the Knowledge of Research and Development of the students and in order to get MOU was signed with Vasyl StefanykPrecarpathian National University, Ukraine, The objective of Collaborative Research work.
Awards and Members.
Dr A Nepolraj, Received at Best Young Scientist National Award- 23rd February 2020 Prestigious IRDP-India
|1||Dr A Nepolraj
Assistant Professor and Head
|Member of American Chemical Society,
Chinese Chemical Society Membership Number: 210110210
Journal of Chemical Research Advances,
‘TOCHEMISTRY Journal’’ from (01-01-2019) onward ISSN: 2581-7507 http://purkh.com/index.php/tochem/index
Editor, International Journal of Chemical Synthesis and Chemical Reactions, Editorial Team (journalspub.info)
Editor, International Journal of Advanced Chemistry Research
Editor board Member
International Journal of Chemistry Studies, ISSN: 2581-348X www.chemistryjournal.in
International Journal of Chemical Research and Development. ISSN:2664-6560.
Editorial Team- International Journal of Engineering Development And Research, www.ijedr.org/editorialBoard.php.
Reviewer, Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (IJCCE),
Oriental Journal of Chemistry,
|2||Dr. M. Sathiyaseelan
Assistant Professor of Chemistry,
Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research” (ISSN : 2349-5162); Member ID : 114373.
International Journal of Research And Analytical Reviews” (E-ISSN 2348-1269, P- ISSN 2349-5138); Member ID : 114102
|3||Dr D Thirumoolan
|Editorial Board Member in the American Journal of Polymer Science and Technology (AJPST), Science Publishing Group, USA.
Reviewer Panel Member of the Journal Chemical Science and Engineering Research, Arivyal Publishing, India
- International level webinar on “Secrets of Lateral Flow Immunoassay analysis (Rapid Test Kit) for coronavirus detection: Role of TPNT to fight against COVID 19” on 07th May 2020. The guest speaker for the webinar was PeriyathambiDhaiveegan is presently working as Senior Specialist, Technical Department, Tripod Nano Technology Corporation, Taoyuan, Taiwan.
- IQAC and the Department of Chemistry organized an international webinar on “Synthesis of Biologically active compounds based on Nitrogen hetero system” on 23rd May 2020. The guest speaker for the webinar was V. Shupeniuk, a highly experienced Researcher, Vasyl StefanykPrecarpathian National University, Ukraine.
- Department of Chemistry organized a NationalLevel webinar on “Principle and Applications of Electronic Spectroscopy”on 07th May 2020. The guest speaker for the webinar was G. Rajkumar, Assistant Professor,Department of Chemistry, Vivekananda College, Tiruvedakam.Tamilnadu
- Department of Chemistry organized a National Level webinar on “Molecular Docking in Rational Drug Design” on 27th May 2020. The guest speaker for the webinar was Sanket Pradeep Bapat, Assistant Professor, MIT School of Bioengineering Science and Research, Pune, India. CSIR-NCL &Dr. D.Y. Patil Institute Research Pune.
- IQAC and the Department of Chemistry organized an international webinar on “Virtual Lecture on Chemistry”, A view of How to Affect Food Additive in Human Life” on 24th August 2021. The guest speaker for the webinar was K. Raja highly experienced Researcher Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry at St. Joseph University Dimapur Nagaland.