ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- The department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002 with 30 students. Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Biotechnology is full time three year undergraduate degree course offered by the Bharathidasan University, Thiruchirapalli. A candidate passed in the higher secondary examination or appearing in higher secondary examination in current academic year with physics, chemistry and mathematics or Biology as major subject in science stream from any recognized board is eligible to join the course
- The department of Biotechnology which offers Sc Biotechnology, M.Sc Biotechnology, and Ph. D programmes was started in 2002 with an intake of 30 students in the under – graduate level. Currently the combined program has 98 students with 5 dedicated and qualified faculty members assisted by 2 technical staff members
- School of Bioscience organized a science exhibition “BIOSPECTRA” (Talent Hunt) on every year. Industrial visits have been arranged regularly to the students to inculcate first hand practical experience.
- School of bioscience has signed MOU with Dept of Medicine &Biomedical science, MAHSA University, Malaysia and with Department of biotechnology, QULI University, China.
- We have placed our students in different position in different organizations.
- The faculty members, post graduate students and scholars actively participate in the conferences, seminars and present research papers. The research findings are published in Journals of high repute. The department periodically organizes conferences, workshops and seminars.
- The department is well-equipped with modern laboratories to provide quality teaching and research opportunities for students. The Department has the facilities like UV-Visible Spectrophotometer, Laminar Air flow chamber, Cooling Centrifuge, Autoclave, Light microscope, Water Bath, Orbital Shaker Incubator, Bacteriological Incubator, UV-Transilluminator, Hot Air Oven, Refrigerator, pH meter, Dry Bath, Weighing balance, Magnetic stirrer, Vortex and Gel electrophoresis apparatus etc.
- To enhance the research activities of the rural youth and offer them more career options in the field of Biotechnology.
- To integrate modern biology with molecular techniques to meet the medical problems of humanity.
- By organizing industrial visits to help students to know job opportunities.
- By organizing workshops to impart market – relevant skill sets.
- By offering value added programmes to face the challenge of a globalized world.
OBJECTIVES OF DEPARTMENT:
The objectives of the College of Biotechnology are to:
- Teach, train and graduate qualified skilled scientists in many disciplines of Biotechnology.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the curriculum of biotechnology program with a strong commitment to be aligned and comply with the national and international standards of the quality assurance.
- Promote a supportive learning environment for life through implementing continuous learning programs.
- Apply the general principles and standards of technology transfer and ensure adequate training of our personnel in modern biotechnology.
BIOTECHNOLOGY LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Programme outcome of M.Sc Biotechnology is to produce competent biotechnologist’s who can employ and implement their knowledge base in premium processes and applications which will profoundly influence or utilized for existing paradigm of agriculture, industry, healthcare and restoration of degraded environment to provide sustainable competitive edge to present society.
- Students will exhibit contemporary knowledge in Biotechnology and students will be eligible for doing jobs in various sectors of pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry. Students will be able design, conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data for investigating.
- Acquire knowledge in domain of biotechnology enabling their applications in industry and research. Empower the students to acquire technological knowhow by connecting disciplinary and interdisciplinary aspects of biotechnology & Recognize the importance of Bioethics, IPR, entrepreneurship, Communication and management skills so as to usher next generation of Indian industrialists.